Week 7… or 11.5 weeks before 11/5
Yes, I know this only works if you refer to dates in the American way… we are 11.5 weeks away from 11/5, or Nov 5th, or NYC Marathon day!!!
Lots of information received from Delphine who continued her training during holidays, ignoring all the canine dangers… she runs faster than those dogs π
Interesting that at the same time as you were looking for hydratation vests I was picking shorts with many pockets: for hydratation as well as gels and keys and credit card and phone, to run prepared for anything. I was initially looking for a running belt, but the same company producing the belts convinced me that I might as well add a short to the belt, cunning. So here it is:
I ran several distances with it last week and that worked, not running faster but I can pay for my coffee at the end of the run.
Last week was also when we had to select several options for the marathon, including transportation to the start line π€© it’s becoming real! It was great to see we both had the same options available, meaning we are likely to be in the same wave. After hearing stories from previous years runners we selected for the bus option, pick up in front of the NYC library (tourist opportunity for Delphine)… at 5am π΄. Breakfast in Staten Island for us!
Finally, I attended a New York Road Runner conference, the 2nd in the marathon preparation series, about mental and attitude for the race. Key points below:
- focus on controlling what you can, which includes your Attitude, and this small internal voice: direct it to say what a coach would tell you, your Preparation and your Effort (acronym APE, so you can turn this in funny sentences).
- prepare to be punched, as per Mike Tyson “you can prepare as much as you can until you get punched in the face”. It will happen, don’t be surprised, learn how to cope and prepare your next action so you rebound. Easier said than done…
- start slow. Which we hear for every race, but I appreciated the advice to practice this in our weekend runs as well: it will be easier to manage if your body is used to it, and your mind knows that it’s just for the start.
- time to calm down on the lifestyle, and start eating healthy. I’ll stop all alcohol from Sept 1st, and try to eat less junk food. Cannot commit to 0 on the food π
- after a long run, self reflect on how you felt, if you could continue 10 more miles or not, what you did right/wrong, as this will help you prepare for the next one.
- use the outcome of your self reflection to craft your inner self messages to use in times of doubt, despair or pains. They have to be directive and specific. Example given was: Aurelia, raise your knees!
- finally: when you’re tired, slow down and grab the moment, use your 5 senses to capture it.
Hopefully some of the advice will resonate! If you want to hear the panel: https://www.youtube.com/live/cz4S1FeNmhQ?feature=share
Ready for Week 8, ending with a half marathon for fun…


Comments
Post a Comment