Week 8 - Half Marathon to top it off!

This week they (NYRR, who organizes the race) announced the top women athletes that will be participating in the marathon…and guess what? They forgot Delphine and me!

“Defending TCS New York City Marathon champion Sharon Lokedi, reigning Boston Marathon and United Airlines NYC Half champion Hellen Obiri, Olympic gold medalist and 2021 TCS New York City Marathon champion Peres Jepchirchir, and marathon world-record holder Brigid Kosgei will headline the women’s professional athlete field at the 2023 TCS New York City Marathon on Sunday, November 5.
When the four Kenyans line up in New York, it will be the first time in event history the reigning TCS New York City Marathon champion, Boston Marathon champion, Olympic champion, and world-record holder line up against each other in the TCS New York City Marathon.”

Ok, we will not hold a grudge against them and continue to train… This week I ran 36 miles, 2 less than last week, but it was more tiring, especially for the long run:
- Tempo run mid week after a morning session at the gym focused on legs, painful 
- No yoga for the last 2 weeks as my partner is out and I don’t have the discipline to do the sessions by myself: need more stretching!
- Ended with a half-marathon in Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania side, very flat race, but I had 17 miles this day: I ran the 13.1 very seriously (finished 1st of my age group, but we were only 6 in the group  , so not much merit) but still at a good speed so my legs were not happy to continue running, for 4 miles, past the arrival lane… I ran with my medal on, and the positive comments from the park’s visitors helped me to continue till the end, as well as the promise of a BBQ’d burger at the end! Thanks Monet for the inspiration before the race ❤️

During the race I tried on my new running shorts and I’m pleased to report that they served their purpose: enough pockets for the gels, keys safely stored and credit cards dry; I think this will be the one for NYC!

Sharing a useful site to learn about all details around the marathon, including the count to race day (63 days as I write this), and the best places to be located, as a spectator:
- 1st spot: 1st avenue, but above at least 86th street (way too crowded below 86th) - that’s about 17th mile
- 2nd spot: 59st, around the 7th/8th avenue level. The closer to Columbus Circle the better, but not too close! Stay to the right of the pack so you can give us a hi-5! That’s just before mile 26…the last one!
And I started to read ‘A race like no other: 26.2 miles through the streets of New York’ from Liz Robbins: I’m sorry Delphine I did not find it in French, so I’ll have to share great advices if I find any 🍀 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7… or 11.5 weeks before 11/5

Week 17 - Full Taper Mode

Week 14 - 1 month to go!